Monday, November 12, 2012

Metapost


A couple weeks ago, my friend Maggie Holtzberg came by the shop to talk about a memorial stone for her father. Maggie is a folklorist who works at the Massachusetts Cultural Council, which in 2009 awarded Firefly Press with a grant to subsidize my education in operating and maintaining the Monotype and Linotype machines. She was also very supportive of my efforts to study with Nick Benson at The John Stevens Shop as a panelist with the Institute for Community Research's Traditional Arts Apprenticeship Program. Needless to say, I'm always glad to see her, especially now that I am in a position to repay her investments in my training. Here she is chatting with Derek about the blacksmith's life.


Maggie spent about an hour at the shop, taking pictures, asking questions and, ever the archivist, recording them with a handheld device. She sent me an email a few days later with a link to the blog post she wrote about her visit. Since it might be of interest to anyone who passes through here once in a while, I submit it for your amusement:

http://blog.massfolkarts.org/blog/index.php/2012/10/an-apprentice-strikes-out-on-his-own/




No comments:

Post a Comment