Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Bookmark


I had the Marketing Department of Marsolais Press & Lettercarving whip up these slick bookmarks to help spread the word about my fledgling operation. Because I will truly be on my own in a few months I used typefaces only in my possession, in fact ones I would not otherwise pair together but am very glad to have (Berthold Wolpe's Albertus Titling and Gunter Lange's Solemnis). Mixing display types is always a tricky business. Normally it says to the consumer "Buy my product so I can afford to buy a clue!" But in this instance I decided to find charming the idiosyncratic combination of a stylish modern uncial with a rough-hewn face of inscriptional origin. The stroke weights and skeletals bear a passing resemblance, and both evoke the work of tools in human hands. Both historically are the natural output of a broad edge, whether pen or chisel. Fittingly the bookmark is resting against a bookend in progress, Ex Libris, drawn letters carved into a triangular offcut of Buckingham slate from the slag pile at the John Stevens Shop. I'm intending to include the bookmarks in with a promotional brochure to go out in the coming weeks, although a few have already found their way into the hands, and presumably books, of friends around Boston. Interested in receiving a brochure? Hey, try out my new business email. Emails are free. So is the brochure.



3 comments:

  1. Hi Jesse, You might want to put your new email in your blog as a hyper-text. Your making your Mama proud!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, Jesse, you've definitely made a follower here! After reading through (carefully and slowly) "The Art of Letter Carving in Stone", I bought my first chisel and dummy, picked up some local (Kentucky) limestone, and chiseled 4 truly awful (but legible) stems into stone. There's magic to it, to be sure! Many more stems to come, and I'll be watching your site with interest!
    -Dave

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dang! Those really are slick bookmarks. Amazed, as always, at what you conjure up.

    ReplyDelete